Lightning Experience,Lightning Design System, Lightning App Builder: All you need to know at a high level1:59 PM
Lightning Experience / Lightning UI:
A while back salesforce released this very cool next generation user interface called the Lightning Experience. In addition to the entire revamp of the look and feel, this also added additional features like the 'Opportunity Kanban', the 'Assistant' etc.
- Lightning Experience can be turned ON at the profile level, or for individual users using permission sets.
- ALL standard profiles are lightning UI enabled by default, when you enable Lightning UI for your organization. [Workaround: Replace standard profiles with custom profiles]
- Visualforce pages work as usual in the lightning UI, however you might want to do a sanity check to make sure nothing is broken.
- Visualforce pages open with the old look and feel. The old look and feel is referred to as Salesforce Classic.
Where to learn more?There are tons of resources in trailhead. Collect your badges and learn the fun way.
Lightning Design System:
Lightning Design system is a front end framework for developing web applications. Using the Lightning Design system you could design visualforce pages or standalone web pages that look and feel the same way as the Lightning UI. A few pointers.
- Lightning Design system could be though of as an equivalent to 'Twitter Bootstrap'.
- To download and start using visit https://www.lightningdesignsystem.com/
- The design system is purely made up of CSS files.
- The design system comes with pre-built components such as pop-up modals, tree structure, buttons etc.
- Lightning Design system focuses mainly on the front end. Data manipulation and processing will still be done using Apex and Visualforce/other desired markup language.
Where to learn more?Trailhead again. Use this trail to learn more https://developer.salesforce.com/trailhead/module/lightning_design_system
Lightning App Builder:The Lightning App builder is a drag and drop tool to build lightning pages. Salesforce offers a few components by default, including 'Recent Items', 'Assistant', 'List View' etc. In addition you can create your own custom components using the Lightning Design system, or use third party components supplied by AppExchange applications like SKuid
Access from SetUp -> Lightning App Builder